Saturday, July 13, 2013

Saturday Sandwich Spread


Most South Africans will know the feeling of missing some home goodness that is not available in non-English speaking European countries. Either you get on with life knowing you probably will, at some point have to find a way of importing the products you are missing, or you are going to have to start making the stuff yourself.

This time around living in Switzerland, I have chosen the latter and have started making all the goodies on my own. The only thing I have yet figured out how to make, and I don't think I would actually consider making it, is Marmite.

Today I would like to share a recipe to make Sandwich Spread, another South African favourite.

Sandwich Spread is one of those things that you either love or you hate - we love it in our home. We used to be able to purchase it, but it has since disappeared from the shelves and it is such a pity. There is nothing nicer than Sandwich spread on hot-buttered toast, or as a tangy sandwich spread to accompany ham, salami or to just eat on its' own.

Onto the recipe:

For this recipe you will need:
sandwich spread recipe home made


4 Carrots
3 Bell Peppers
1 Cucumber
1 large onion or 2 small onions
750ml White wine vinegar
500ml Mayonaisse
3 Tbsp Condense-milk

Start by peeling and grating the carrots, and grating the cucumber.
If you like smaller pieces then peel and whiz in a food processor.


sandwich spread

Slice the peppers and onion very finely and add to the bowl


onions, carrots, bell peppers

Mix together with your hands, and then cover with the vinegar.


sandwich spread recipe

Cover and allow to stand for 24 hours.

The next day, sieve the veggies and bottle the vinegar (I like to use it in my sauces etc)
Now add the mayonnaise and the condensed milk.


sandwich spread

It should look nice and creamy once done, and should taste slightly tangy.


condensed milk

Fill into bottles and date. It makes a good 3 and 1/2 jars of Sandwich Spread and I like to keep them cooled in the fridge until I need to use them.


Homemade Sandwich Spread

I would love to hear from you if you have made some for yourself. Did you like it, love it or dislike it?



Pin It!

6 comments:

  1. This sounds delicious! It isn't something I would ever think of either. Thank you for sharing at what i am eating!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How long does it last.. thanks for the great recipe. . Will def give it a go

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi there,
      I would think about 6 months (we have never had it last long enough that I could really tell :)) but as it has vinegar included I think it would hold for quite a while.
      Thanks for visiting.
      x

      Delete
  3. Made this and it taste like the real thing. It add another dimension to my potato salad. Outstanding. Thank you. Johan

    ReplyDelete
  4. Made this and my daughter is mad about it she cant get enough. Thanks for sharing the recipe. Belinda

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment, we so appreciate hearing from you.
We will reply to all comments posted :)
x
Natalie and Stefan

Infolinks In Text Ads